Royal Air Force Station Binbrook for future generations
A great deal of infrastructure work has been done so far but there is a lot more to do.
All existing foul water underground pipework now works as far as the boundary fence although we need to get CCTV cameras down to trace it further and to check their integrity.
Manhole infrastructures will need to be repaired in some parts whilst others just need new lids.
CCTV images will provide information on other possible repairs needed.
Redundant low pressure hot water heating infrastucture has been removed but new concrete slabbing to cover the trench network has not yet been implemented as the trench will be used for the new electricity supply.
The original mains water stopcock for the area remains as elusive as ever but there is a contingency plan.
Painting of the temporary buildings is continuing.
The roof repair and sealing of the 28ft portacabin was completed successfully.
It now just needs new guttering to be fitted.
Several rainwater storage vessels are now on site.
The CCTV camera mounts and cameras are now fitted.
The old POL store concrete base has been cleared of demolition debris and can now be rebuilt when needed.
Two stainless steel flagpoles have been donated but require brackets making for them to mount to the existing old lighting tower mounts.
The new 'Bomber Command' temporary building kindly donated by Winchester Marine Ltd is slowly being renovated and repaired.
When this work has been completed it will be moved from it's current renovation and repair site to it's concrete base.
It will house the original altar and cross from St Josephs RC church, now long demolished, a visitors book and of course a display of Bomber Command artefacts.
The cross has been carefully dismantled and the wood repainted in matt black to match the original.
The cast iron statue of JC will be cleaned but not painted although he is hollow and much lighter now that decades of rust have fallen out of him.
I don't think he has been off his wooden cross for many years. If ever!
Continued demolition debris clearance has highlighted concrete and wall infrastructure which will provide a more suitable access route for wheelchair users from the 460 Squadron RAAF memorial site.
It has also unearthed stormwater drainage to another possible soakaway.
It now appears that the area was built in three stages.
The Watch Office (Control Tower) - 1939/1940 - Drawing No:- 2328-39
Control Room, Comcen. Ground Radio, Met Office - 1955/1956 - Drawing No:- 2061-55
Additional - 1961/1962 - Drawing No:- 14100-61
In many parts the footings are as good as the day they were laid!
I believe the original wartime building base next to the watch office is under the 1955 work.
This would explain the foundation height differentials.
Some of the existing trees have been pruned and the rabbit guards removed to encourage growth.
A magnetometer survey has revealed ferrous objects in some locations and as the Luftwaffe bombed this area in 1940, a cautious approach is being undertaken when planting further trees.
Demolition debris has been piled up awaiting further archaeological examination for artefacts.
The two main grass areas that required levelling have been completed, however several more areas now need attention due to cabling removal work and the rabbits.
Weed control was carried out by Fred Thompson but some of them just will not die!
Weedol 2 seems to be a good nettle and pink campion stopper!
Rubble has been piled up pending possible use by the wheelchair access route and for backfilling sloppy MOD demolition work.
A redundant cable trench has yielded some artefacts from the control tower but more importantly matching 1938 imperial sized red engineering bricks that can be used to repair the damaged manholes.
The area of demolition near to this trench has yielded some cracking items.
Original red linoleum pieces, part of an iron window frame, the crank of the WC pull chain mechanism, etc, etc.
Thanks to Emma and her dad, the portable cable trench concrete slab lifting frame will have it's stability feet welded on soon.
This will enable us to source 'LIVE' cables running through the area to ensure that supposed 'DEAD' cables are no longer still connected to the substation.
All rights reserved. Last updated 16 May 2011 by Ray Whiteley.